A crown, formerly referred to as a cap, is a molded shell placed over the entire tooth surface to restore its shape, size, strength and /or appearance to its natural state.
Crowns are used:
- To attach a bridge
- When a filling is too large for the tooth to support
- To protect a cracked or broken tooth
- To cover and protect a tooth after a root canal
- For cosmetic enhancement
Today’s porcelain crowns are natural looking in shape and color, leave no black edge at the gum line and can last 20-30 years.
Crowns made of gold, silver or porcelain over metal, the standard for crowns for many years, are still occasionally used.
All-ceramic crowns look and feel remarkably like natural teeth yet they provide the same, if not more, strength and durability of a standard crown. Ceramic crowns are custom made for each patient with zirconia, the same substance used to make synthetic diamonds, and porcelain. The vast array of design options available with ceramic crowns make them the ideal restoration for front teeth.
DiBella Dental Care strives to make crowns that look and feel like the real thing – a “natural” and bright smile.
Yes – it can be done! In just one appointment, you’ll be measured for your crown, the crown will be made while you wait, and you’ll walk out with your perfectly fitted, custom-colored crown permanently bonded to your tooth.
The latest CAD/CAM technology makes this possible:
- First, a camera captures a digital image of the tooth from all angles.
- Then, a computer creates a digital 3-D model that Dr. Sandra Echavarria, DDS can design and refine on the screen right in front of you. Once the design is complete, a porcelain block is selected in the shade that best matches your existing teeth.
- The crown is milled in a machine on-site.
- Most one-day crown appointments take under two hours.
No more gooey, sticky molds, temporary crowns coming off and leaving raw nerves exposed, and having to make two appointments just for one tooth.
DiBella Dental Care makes getting a healthy, happy smile faster and easier. What are you waiting for? Call for an appointment today!
Having a full set of functional teeth is crucial to your dental and oral health, your speech and appearance and your overall confidence. If you're missing one or more teeth, chewing becomes more difficult, you're more susceptible to gum disease, it can create speech disorders and your other teeth will begin to shift to fill in the gap.
A bridge replaces missing teeth with natural-looking, artificial teeth. The types of bridges are:
- Fixed and removable bridges. A fixed bridge attaches to the adjoining healthy teeth with crowns and the artificial tooth/teeth now span the gap. A removable bridge attaches to adjoining teeth with clasps.
- Implant bridge. This attaches artificial teeth under the gum tissue or directly to the jaw.
DiBella Dental Care can help you determine the best bridge option for your mouth to improve your dental health and restore your happy smile.